Friday, July 17, 2009

Random Music Thoughts of the Week

Thoughts of the Week beginning July 12th, 2009

1. Amy Winehouse is divorcing her husband...slap yourself in the face if you honestly didn't see this coming.

2. Have you ever listened to the band Grizzly Bear? I'm still up in the air on this band. I really like some of their tunes, but others I absolutely despise. I've never been this 50/50 on a band before. I saw them perform last night on Letterman and the song they played was one of their songs I despise. However, when I saw them perform on Jimmy Fallon a couple weeks ago they played a dynamite tune. Judge for yourself...here's a sample of the song "Two Weeks" (their best)...

3. Lots of concert goings this week. My buddy Brandon attended the Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, and John Mellencamp concert last night in New Britain. Said Dylan was amazing. It reminds me that I need to see Bob realllllly soon. My other buddy Mike is off to what is sure to be a crazzzzzy fucking weekend up at Camp Bisco. 3 nights of bands like Disco Biscuits, Damian Marley, STS9, and The Orb would leave my brain fried. Disco Biscuits are headlining all 3 nights...I would love to see that because they are fucking outstanding in concert. Hopefully my tent comes back in one piece. However, if he destroys it I hope there is an outstanding story of suspense and hilarity that comes along with it. Tents are replaceable...festival stories are not.

4. Speaking of concerts this week I'm heading to see Stone Temple Pilots tomorrow night. They have been at the top of my list for years, but I've been procrastinating on seeing them because I always wanted to see them with my buddy Jay, who's seen them in concert several dozen times. So when he told me last month he was going to the show how could I pass it up? I haven't been this pumped up for a (solo) show since My Morning Jacket last New Years Eve.

5. I got even more excited about the STP show when I looked online today to see if there were any opening acts. To my complete surprise I recognized the opening band. The Meat Puppets! How sweet is that? For those of you who are saying, "where do I know that band name from, "...I shall indulge you. The Kirkwood brothers are the major driving force from behind the band. Nirvana fans would recognize them because they served as guest musicians on the famous MTV Unplugged album...particularly on the song "Lake of Fire". Kurt Cobain always cited the Meat Puppets as a big musical influence. As did other grunge rockers Soundgarden and Dinosaur Jr. You may also be familiar with their song "Backwater", as it had significant play time on MTV. Check it out...

6. I keep hearing great things about Wilco's new CD. I need to get my computer fixed ASAP. I've listened to the same tunes on my iPod shuffle at the gym for like 2 months.

7. Only a couple weeks away from O.A.R. Can't wait personally...I don't know if it can top last year though when Pat, Mudd, and I got to chill on the tour bus and drink some beers with the band. Got another big group going this year though so who knows what adventure it could bring?

8. Kings of Leon is coming up here on September 9th...this is probably going to be attended by me. Got into these guys last summer. Hopefully I'll get to see them this time around. If not, I could see them returning to Bonnaroo next year. It's been a few years since they've played.

9. Yim Yames (Jim James of My Morning Jacket) just came out with a tribute album to George Harrison. I've listened to it on his website. It's unbelievable! A little softer than the normal MMJ tunes he belts out, but he does have one of the "folk-iest" voices in rock today. What a fantastic listen. Check it out here.

10. Pearl Jam's first single of their new album comes out on MONDAY! The tune is called "The Fixer"...can't wait to hear it...hope to find it before Monday (hahaha!) if I can. It's quite a tease though as their 9th studio album (titled Backspacer) isn't scheduled for release until September 20th. So this new single will have to hold us PJ fans over for a couple months...unless the album leaks on the web of course...which has been known to happen (see: Chinese Democracy). But don't get your hopes up.

That's all for now...expect a show review coming to you Saturday or Sunday from tomorrow's STP extravaganza.

No comments:

Post a Comment