Thursday, July 30, 2009

Music Thoughts of the Week

Thoughts of the Week Beginning July 26th, 2009



1. Next week's O.A.R. concert is going to be legendary. The group has gotten into the double digits. Still don't know if it can top last years debachle, but ya never know. Haven't seen these guys since last summer...maybe I will remember more of this years show. Don't count on it though.



2. I really miss having Fuse. I wanna watch the new Best of Bonnaroo's but unfortunately Comcast, like every other television service provider, is way too expensive. DirectTV was heli-expensive, but Comcast ain't much cheaper. When it comes down to it...it sucks you have to pay an extra 30 bucks a month for 4-5 channels more than you had before. Screw them all...make your own TV and watch that. Stupid expensive America.



3. Speaking of expensive shit, has anybody noticed how expensive it is to drink at a show? I mean even at Bonnaroo I was paying 5-6 dollars for a pint (16oz.), and that was cheap compared to the water-downed (20oz.) Bud Light you pay 8 bucks for at an arena show. I really think these bastards that set prices at arena shows need a smack in the face. So my advice to those of you going to shows in the near future...pre-game...that's the ultimate answer. Drink all you can before the concert and then save enough money for a beer halfway through the show if you start to get hungover. Make sure you hit the bathroom though if you pre-game so you don't have to fight your way out of those pits to take a piss...you'll never get your spot back.



4. Passion Pit is becoming a new up-and-coming favorite band of mine. Heard them perform "The Reeling" on Jimmy Fallon tonight and they put on an awesome performance. I was intrigued after seeing them at Bonnaroo and got a hold of their latest album Manners when I came back. It is a fantastic album. The Boston electronic-rock quartet is opening for the French rockers, Phoenix, for two nights in September in NYC...for those of you who are fans...you can catch them on September 25th and 26th at Central Park's Summerstage. For now, here's the song, "The Reeling"...



5. Has anybody else noticed how awesome the music bookings have been this summer on the late night shows? Dave, Conan, Jimmy (x2), and Craig have all had fantastic acts. For this week's guide of late night shows click here. The highlights this week include Cage the Elephant and DMB on Letterman on Thursday and Friday (respectively). Also, Jimmy Buffett and the CRB is on Jimmy Fallon Friday night.

6. I may have figured out a guitar riff I actually enjoy playing. Meaning I may be in the midst of writing my first song in 6 years. It's only a matter of time before I get frustrated with the song and throw it away anyway, but who knows?

7. I really need to get my computer back. The songs on my iPod have not been shuffled around since May. I can't tell you how many times I've listened to My Morning Jacket's Bonnaroo 2004 concert. I know it so well I can almost repeat verbatim all of Jim James' talking to the crowd in between songs. Lame...

8. Who the hell is playing on New Years Eve this year? MSG is still not announced...is it gonna be My Morning Jacket for the 3rd year in a row? Or is Phish going to try and take back their old NYE venue now that they're back in business? I hope MMJ gets to play again...last years show was legendary. However, with Jim having a new solo album out, and then touring with the Kings of Folk, we may not see MMJ back on tour again until 2010. The sooner the better.

9. Gathering of the Vibes took place last weekend in nearby Bridgeport, CT. From the review I read it sounds like the gathering was large and the vibes were groovy. However, I am glad I did not go because of the weather, which caused moe. to end their set early on Friday night. Other bad things were going on over the weekend including Levon Helm not singing because of laryngitis and State Radio cancelled their set on Saturday. However, some good things happened as well...such as State Radio's cancellation being filled by an extended set from Guster, and Crosby, Stills, and Nash playing "Rocky Mountain Way"...come on, everybody loves that tune. Anyway, rain seemed to ruin the weekend a bit. I would've gone to see moe. and then would've been highly disappointed...good thing I stayed home or I wouldv'e been very upset.

10. For those of you who are big into the music video games...Guitar Hero 5 and The Beatles: Rock Band are both coming out in about a month (early September release dates). The Beatles RB has custom replica instruments (sold separately)...for those of you have an extra 300 bucks lying around you can get 4 plastic instruments that cost 20 bucks to make. As cool as The Beatles RB sounds (and looks...see below)...I can't shred any awesome solos playing Beatles songs, so I may wait on that one for a while.
The Guitar Hero franchise has gone severely downhill ever since GH:Aerosmith...but with my lack of interest in The Beatles RB I may give the franchise another shot. Either way...save your money for the latest installments of the 3 best video game franchises on the market...Mass Effect 2, Assassins Creed 2, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 are all due for Christmas 2009 release dates.

Here's the E3 trailers for both games...

The Beatles: Rock Band


Guitar Hero 5

No comments:

Post a Comment