Wednesday, August 12, 2009

O.A.R. Show Review - 8/8/09

Well...for any of those who were at the show with me...you know the whole story. I hate to disappoint my loyal readers, but there's not a whole lot I can tell you about this show except for the details leading up to it. So here's what happened...

3:00pm - Friends arrive to "pre-game" before the show. We kick back a few and sit on the deck and discuss how awesome the show is going to be tonight.

5:00pm - The rest of the crew arrives. We take 4 car loads to the show. The plan is to all park next to each other and have one massive tailgate party. However, the first 2 cars leave 10 minutes before the other 2 cars. Can you guess what happened?

6:00pm - The 4 cars ended up splitting up. 2 in one lot, 2 in the other. After much arguing about who should move where and how we ended up like this, everybody decides to stay put and we'll meet inside. Good idea...?

6:30pm - My new friend and I whoop the Pittsburgh guys at bagg-o. First game I have won in quite some time. I am feeling very good. So good that I decide it's time to have a few beers before the show. Good thing I've got a 6-pack of Yuengling, which I hadn't drank in a good 6 months (how I missed thee!).

7:30pm - My good friend Kyle decided to be a great friend and bring a bottle of Jagermeister and a 4-pack of Red Bull. Sure...I'll do a shot. Nothing like deer blood mixed with taurine!

8:00pm - 3 JagerBombs later it's time to head towards the main gate. Better grab a brew for the road...better make it two.

08:30pm - Arrive at Tailgate Camp 2 to drop off tickets. Most of the rest of my crew went in the main gate to catch Matt Nathanson's set. I wanted to see him, but I forgot to give my buddy his ticket earlier...bummer. I chill with them for a little bit and down another tasty libation.

09:00pm - Arrive at the main gate after the long walk. My feet hurt. I think I may be beginning to feel the effects of the Jager. I love Jager!

09:05pm - The booze has turned on me...the guy at the front gate was being a jerk and told me to sit out for 5 minutes...I told him ok. I immediately walk in to the line next to his and get right in...staring at him the whole time thinking in my mind, "5 minutes my ass! HA!"

09:10pm - We walk to the lawn...it is in between sets. I've lost every one except for my buddy Dale. I decide to lie down in the grass and enjoy the atmosphere until O.A.R. comes on stage.

10:30pm - I HATE Jager! Apparently those bombs were a little stronger than I thought. Somehow when I was relaxing I let my eyes close (these things happen when you work until 4am every night). I awaken to loud music and people dancing. Dale says behind me, "Hey dude! Have a nice nap?" "No! I didn't just do this..." was my first thought. "Oh shit...yes I did..." was my second. "Where the hell am I..." was my third. It's time to get up and savor what I can of this show. Rally caps!

11:45pm - I found the rest of the group that was missing and we danced our asses off for the last hour of the show. Turns out I only missed about half of the show...you know...the stuff I wanted to see. Like a couple acoustic songs, including what I heard was a pretty awesome version of "I Feel Home". It's probably one of their better written songs, but I still like their faster stuff. I was still able to hear my favorite songs, "Night Shift" and "About an Hour Ago"...both were fantastic. Here's the set list:

Hey Girl
About Mr. Brown
The Wanderer
Untitled
So Moved On
I Feel Home (Acoustic)
Lay Down (Acoustic)
What Is Mine
On My Way
This Town <------First song I heard
Night Shift
Shattered
War Song
Mr. Moon
Delicate Few

Encore:
About An Hour Ago
Crazy Game of Poker

11:45pm - My roomate and I are creating zig-zag patterns on the way back to the car. Some dude selling concert shirts approach us...we impulse buy a pair for 10 bucks...not a bad deal for a shirt that will disintegrate after a dozen times through the washing machine. We then impulse buy a couple burgers and hot dogs from some pleasant street vendors with dreadlocks and then hop in the car to go home. No after party? Bummer. The End.

CONCLUSION: So yeah...pretty decent show. I am still disappointed with myself...and as a result I promise all of you that this will NEVER happen again. I vow to NEVER drink Jagermeister at a concert again...straight beer for me thank you. The next show slated is Kings of Leon next month. I will have a full review for you then. It will be bad ass and make up for everything I couldn't put in this review.

On a lighter note...this is one of the best hip-hop songs I have ever heard...

No comments:

Post a Comment