Thursday, August 13, 2009

Music Thoughts of the Week

Music Thoughts for the Week: 8/9-8/15

1. So Lollapalooza happened last weekend. The lineup looked outstanding at first glance. However, when I read JamBase's review I was shocked to read most of the bands at the festival getting bashed. I agree with some of their reviews (such as Animal Collective not being that great in concert...they sure didn't put on a great show at Bonnaroo), but others were just absurd (bashing Coheed is never a good idea in my book...whether you like their concept or not they're some of the most talented musicians on the planet). The group of reviewers seemed biased towards certain types of music and instead of writing worthy reviews, they wrote little blurbs about each band...I mean seriously...my Bonnaroo blog was longer. Don't try and see every band because it's unfair to the fans. In my opinion, if I were part of a large operation like theirs I would go see the biggest bands on the ticket, followed by the best performers, followed by the best up and comers...trying to review every act is gonna drive you mad. Plus that would take forever to write.

2. The biggest mistake at Lollapalooza in my mind...letting Jane's Addiction headline. Look...I know the festival is Perry Farrell's brainchild and all, but JA hasn't put out a decent album in over a decade...and even still their music was never that fantastic to headline a festival over bands like Kings of Leon, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Ben Harper, Snoop Dogg, or even Lou Reed. Apparently for their encore of "Jane Says" they brought out Joe Perry (from Aerosmith...duh) to play guitar...acoustic guitar. Why of all songs would they get Joe Perry to come and play guitar on "Jane Says"...for those of you who don't play the guitar the whole song can be played with 3 chords. In my opinion...that was a slap in the face. You're gonna bring out one of the most well known electric players in the world and force him to play an easy acoustic song...that's fucked up...plain and simple. Bad form Perry Farrell.

3. Now that I think about it...I wouldn't have picked Depeche Mode or The Killers to headline either. The Killers are too new to headline a festival and they have a couple good songs backed by a lot of terrible, terrible songs. Their latest CD is garbage...way too "pop"-y for me. Also, Depeche Mode is electronic music...and in my opinion...is not the type of music that Lollapalooza is based around. Lolla started as a rock festival and should stay that way. They're trying to be a metropolitan version of Bonnaroo by bringing in a variety of acts. Sounds to me like Lolla needs to get back to its roots.

4. Also in Lollapalooza news...Them Crooked Vultures (Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones, and Josh Homme's new fusion band) made their debut in Chicago last week for a very special night show at The Metro. I was right...Homme is doing vocals. Here's the setlist they played.

5. Was super stoked to hear that a My Morning Jacket song will appear in Guitar Hero 5. Especially since it is my personal favorite, "One Big Holiday". Can't wait to shred some Carl Broemmel. Also heard that Johnny Cash, Carlos Santana, and Shirley Manson will have cameos in the game. I understand Santana and Manson did their own motion capture, but they had some tribute artist do Johnny Cash's. I think they should've picked someone else honestly...that's not fair to the late legend.

6. So apparently Aerosmith has cancelled the rest of their summer tour with ZZ Top after Steven Tyler fell off the stage last week at Sturgis while singing "Love in an Elevator". He broke his shoulder and suffered some other back and neck injuries. This coming after he already injured his leg while playing earlier this summer at Mohegan Sun. Sounds to me like the aging Tyler needs to cool down his antics a little bit...after all he is 3 years away from being able to collect Social Security...not that he needs it.

7. Read on Yahoo! Music that Radiohead's upcoming single has leaked on-line. Being that this is a "leaked" song and not completely legal I am not going to post the video on the site, but check it out on YouTube. Song is called "These Are My Twisted Words". Give it a listen.

8. R.I.P. Les Paul...where would rock music be today without you?

9. Last week marked the 40th Anniversary of Woodstock and some sweet tributes were happening at concerts around the world. Here's the coolest one I heard about...Ronnie Wood (you know, from that band...what are they called? The Rolling somethings...) joined Pearl Jam on stage in London for a bluesy version of "All Along the Watchtower". The song apparently included some battling solos between Wood, Mike McCready, and Stone Gossard...gonna try and find the video of that one. Apparently, hey also brought out Simon Townsend (Pete's brother) later in the night to play a cover of The Who's "The Real Me"...groovy.

10. I really wanted to go to Phish last night in Hartford. However, work prevented me from going. I wasn't too bummed until I read the review of the show on JamBase (great review...much different tone than the Lolla review)...apparently it was one of their best shows this summer...including covers of the Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer" and an encore of The Beatles "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

11. Just found out today that Phil Lesh and Bob Weir (of Grateful Dead fame) are teaming up again...this time with Joe Russo (Benevento/Russo Duo), John Kadlecik (Dark Star Orchestra), and two others from Weir's backing band, Rat Dog. The name of the band is called Furthur. I'm sure we'll be seeing them on some big festival tickets next summer...most likely Bonnaroo and Rothbury.

12. Alice in Chains has new album coming out...the first single is a tribute to Layne Staley, entitled "Black Gives Way to Blue" and features ELTON JOHN on piano and backing vocals. The album comes out September 29th. I don't know why, but for some reason I can't picture Elton John standing side by side next to Jerry Cantrell...weird. Hopefully this isn't the start of some new trend...imagine if you were at a Pearl Jam concert and Barry Manilow were to walk out on stage? Yeah...thats messed up.



And finally...a new addition to the weekly submission...here's the first ever...

Concert Video of the Week
This weeks video comes off of Coheed and Cambria's "NeverEnder" DVD set. This was filmed last October 25th in Terminal 5 in New York City. It features Warren Haynes (Allman Bros., Gov't Mule) as a guest guitarist. This is the best version of "Welcome Home" I have ever heard...




No comments:

Post a Comment