Thursday, April 30, 2009

Pandora...the new time waster

So apparently I am a bit behind with the times. A friend of mine suggested the other day that I check out Pandora. I was like...WTF is that? You mean that crazy old Greek beotch that opened the box that released evil into the world? Apparently...thats not what it was. Boy was I way wrong on that one...


DISCLAIMER: Before I write any further let me convene to you that I am no way working for pandora.com...I am just a newly found fan who is excited with the services they offer.


So anyway...it's amazing what you can find on the internet these days. I was looking for some quick way to brush up on my Bonnaroo bands before the big festival comes my way in June...and then magically it appeared.


This online program called Pandora is basically an on-line radio station, except it plays only the music you want it to, but then here's the sick part...IT EVOLVES!


You basically pop in the name of one of your favorite bands and then it plays that band and other bands like them. If you don't like their suggestions you give it the big thumbs down and you never hear that crap again.


FOR EXAMPLE: Today I typed in one of my favorite depressing mood bands (Death Cab for Cutie) and I got to listen to one of my favorite songs on their new album ("No Sunlight"). The next three bands that played were Wilco, Elliot Smith, and...get this...COLDPLAY! OH NO YOU DID NOT PUT THAT GARBAGE ON MY RADIO STATION! I was infuriated and was about to swear of the website forever because they tainted my radio station with that unintelligent, untalented, for lack of a better word...dribble. BUT...my friend at work told me that I could hit this thumbs down button and it would never play another one of their songs on my radio station again. So I breathed a sigh of relief and I thumbs downed that band so fast...Siskel and Ebert would be proud.


So anyway...if you haven't already (like I said I'm behind the times)...check out Pandora. It's great for when you're at work and you're looking for some music to keep you on pace. It comes highly recommended.



Oh and my buddy from work is from Kentucky and brought me back My Morning Jacket's limited release live EP they put out for National Record Store Day. It's called Celebracion de la Ciudad Natal. Cool thing is he bought it from ear X-tacy, which is the store that the EP was originally played in and recorded in...HOW COOL IS THAT!? Good man. So needless to say I will give it a listen tonight and let yinz know how it is. That's right...that's a yinz...dedicated to Steve, Pat, and all the other Pittsburgh dudes that drank their faces off with me all weekend. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment